Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Conclusions?

So with all of these plans, what are my conclusions. I think it is pretty simple basically we need to combine all the plans into a comprehensive solution. Just a random question, what the heck is comprehensive, it seems to show up in every political speech given by anyone about anything, thus I naturally had to throw it in. Anyway, I digress.

So this comprehensive solution must contain both a stimulus for research and also a stimulus for applications of existent technologies. So essentially it would be a combination of the Manhattan Project and the TVA. First we need to pass Forbes’ bill to begin the process of stimulating research. Secondly we need to make R&D spending tax deductible to get businesses on board. Third we need to set up a more extensive grant program for something like 100 billion dollars over 5 years.

On the “TVA” side we need to start create governmental policy that reflects a logical look at environmental issues. We need to repeal the tariff on sugar cane ethanol and start developing the infrastructure to support biofuel. I think all cars that are sold within the United States in 5 to 10 years should be flex fuel. Again we can use the government’s taxing power to make this transition less economically damaging. Furthermore we need to streamline the process for approving nuclear power plants like they have in France so that we can have new nuclear plants coming online within the next 10 years. We must also implement other forms of alternative energy that can be built relatively quickly such as solar and wind so that we can start mitigating this crisis now.

I believe that any loss of income that the government has now will easily be offset by the economic growth that this combination of research and construction would stimulation.

I must say that I am sorry that this post does not contain my usual thoroughness but I am in the process of preparing my house for a move so I have been really busy.

No comments: